This is a mixed-media piece in pastel, charcoal, and ink — with water — inspired by a song I was listening to. By the time I made the piece I had forgotten the lyrics so the title is just an approximation. It turns out I totally got them wrong. It’s about 9×12″.
This is the “latest” (many years old) out of a series of 50 faces I was trying to make. Perhaps I’ll explain it fully one day, but although it’s rather morbid, it has a lot of personal meaning for me. My goal was 50 but I only got to 8. I made many of these when I last lived in Japan, in the northern part of Tokyo. Here’s one of my favorites that despite trying to make look dead, looks frighteningly alive.
Here’s an example today of a piece that took a wrong turn. I loved the initial sketch, even though it was not where I’d intended to go at all. (I was working on a series “50 dead faces” and this is most certainly a bright and living and happy face.)
Then what happened? I went at it with charcoal and a marker, and more pencil, and ended up overworking – the worst. Well, it turned out ok, but just ok. I was more pleased with the initial drawing, although that itself was unfinished and had to be completed into something. Can’t win!
Here’s a process post. I started out with a sketch that was supposed to be part of another series I’m working on (“dead faces” – 50 of them – I’ll explain in the future) but it took on a life of its own. Specifically, I thought it looked a bit like a noh mask.
So I wasn’t sure if I should leave it as-is, not touch it, let it be just in this form. It didn’t seem finished, but I didn’t want to ruin or overwork it. Then I hit on an idea: ink! It turns out I barely had to use any, because the charcoal I did the sketch with reacted so well with the water, but I did it a little. Here’s the result, which I’m extremely happy with.